A root canal in Columbia, SC is a very common, endodontic procedure that Dr. Jeanette Wingate and Dr. Bryan Wingate perform on patients with advanced tooth decay. Late stage tooth decay can cause a serious infection in the tooth pulp, eventually damaging the nerves and bone that support and stabilize teeth. Symptoms may include tooth sensitivity, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, chronic toothaches, swelling, and severe pain in the jaw, head, and neck. Professional treatment is the only way to prevent the spread of infection and stop tooth loss.
Why Root Canals are necessary:
• Tooth decay, cracked, or fractured teeth provide a gateway for bacteria in the saliva to reach and infect the pulp.
• Pus then spreads to the tip of the tooth root, eventually making its way to the jaw bone where it can develop into an abscess. This often causes severe pain and without treatment, the infection can travel to other parts of the body and even be fatal.
• Safe, modern root canal therapy with Dr. Jeanette Wingate and Dr. Bryan Wingate treats the infection and restores health to the teeth.
The Root Canal Procedure:
• The affected area is numbed with a local anesthetic.
• A rubber dam is secured around the tooth to stop bacteria and other material from traveling to other areas in the mouth and throat during the procedure.
• A small hole is made on the surface of the tooth.
• A special dental file is used to access the pulp chamber and remove the diseased tissue and tooth decay.
• The file is also used to modify the root canal so it can accommodate a new filling.
• X-rays are taken to ensure that all of the infected pulp is completely gone.
• The filling is placed.
• A crown may be also fitted to preserve and support the tooth, or if the tooth damage is too severe, a post and core may be necessary to rebuild the tooth prior to crown placement.
Tooth decay is a serious matter. The Wingate dental team is fully trained and licensed to perform expert, modern root canal therapy to remove infection and save teeth in Columbia, SC! Call us today for your private consultation.